Watching the sunrise one morning made me think of Genesis 1:1. In the beginning God. Yes, I know the rest of the chapter details all the things God made. BUT what if we stopped and let God be at the beginning of everything?
- First thing in the morning, we open the day with God.
- First thing in a new year, we allow God to guide our plans for the days and months ahead.
- First thing in a wedding, God becomes the first One of us three.
- First thing with a newborn, we thank God for that precious life and then ask Him to guide the child throughout his life: first steps, first day of school and all the other firsts.
- First thing when we face the loss of a job.
- First thing when illness strikes, do we praise God for being with us before asking Him to heal us?
- First thing when we face the death of a loved one.
- First thing when we realize we’re facing our own destiny in heaven or in hell.
You get the idea. Many of us start the day with a devotional time with our Father. Are there other places where we need to put God at the beginning? Let’s watch for new beginnings and allow our heavenly Father to go before us.